Kandle (Osborne) - Live Photos from M is for Montreal @ CMJ, Arlene's Grocery, NYC 10-18-13 ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Sunday, November 03, 2013

Kandle (Osborne) - Live Photos from M is for Montreal @ CMJ, Arlene's Grocery, NYC 10-18-13



Kandle (Osborne) - M is for Montreal @ CMJ, Arlene's Grocery, NYC 10-18-13Of the 8 - 10 performances that I attending at last month's CMJ Music Marathon, Kandle (Osborne)'s set was clearly one of the highlights (though having her go on right before Yamantaka // Sonic Titan was certainly a style, if not culture, clash). Kandle plays fuzzed-out delta blues that falls somewhere between Cowboy Junkies and Mazzy Star and her compelling vocals are matched by shimmering tremolo provided by long time musical partner and co-producer Sam Goldberg (Broken Social Scene).

Kandle released her debut EP last year which Sputnik Music rated excellent and they described the disc as: "With some stomping drums, twanging guitar and fuzzed-out vocals, "Kandle" in many ways sounds straight-up like outlaw blues music; the perfect stuff for driving alone through the desert in if you know what I mean." More recently, Kandle signed with Dare to Care Records and her full-length disc is coming out early next year. The video for first single, "Demon", follows the photo set from Kandle's performance at Arlene's Grocery.

Kandle was in town earlier this summer for two shows at Stage 48 with Coeur de Pirate and, in an interview with TimesSquare.com, she was asked about her forthcoming disc:

TS: Musically, how will this be different from the other material you've released?

KO: I find that it's a lot stronger. When I did the EP, it was an experiment. I wasn't very confident with what I was doing and I didn't know if I could sing! I made it, and I got comfortable. I started experimenting more, my voice really developed, and I went crazy with writing. I think this shows more of what I can do and what the band can do with me.





Links:
Kandle