Golden Suits (Fred Nicolaus) - Show Review and Live Photos from Union Pool, Brooklyn, NY 9/25/13 ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Monday, October 07, 2013

Golden Suits (Fred Nicolaus) - Show Review and Live Photos from Union Pool, Brooklyn, NY 9/25/13

Golden Suits (Fred Nicolaus) - Show Review and Live Photos from Union Pool, Brooklyn, NY 9/25/13Golden Suits made their NYC live debut late last month with a headlining show at Union Pool.  Local band, The Loom, opened the show and the crowd was at near capacity by the time Fred Nicolaus and the other three members of Golden Suits took the stage.  While the set list emphasized Golden Suits new self-titled album (nine of the disc's ten songs were played), Fred also played Department of Eagles' "Family Romance"and he opened the show with a languid cover of "Barbara Ann".


This was a show where the music did the talking so there wasn't a lot of dialogue during the set outside of some self-depreciating wit from Fred (what else would you expect from a John Cheever fan?), which included a well-timed response to some audience cracks about the guitar player's chest hair.  Fred and the band held the audience in rapt attention so the set's eleven songs passed quickly.  There wasn't an encore but - after nailing a very tight set - there really wasn't a need.



For those who missed the show, there are a number of in-the-studio performances of Fred and the band performing tracks from the new Golden Suits album posted to YouTube which should give a good indication of what the band sounds like live. 



In a recent interview with PopMatters, Fred was asked what his plans are after the current tour finishes: "When I get back I’m making a music video for the song “Under Your Wing”. The director and I painted a giant backdrop for it which is currently sitting in his apartment in Astoria, so I’m hoping we can film it quickly so he can get back to using his living room. I also write pretty much all the time, so I have a new batch of songs I’ve written since the album was finished. I don’t know where they’ll end up—either on a new Department of Eagles record, or more Golden Suits stuff, but either way I want to make another album next year. I took too long to make this record, I feel like I did enough overthinking for an entire career. "
 
Links:
Golden Suits