Alvin & The Chipmunks - The Squeakquel CD Review (Rhino) ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Alvin & The Chipmunks - The Squeakquel CD Review (Rhino)

STREAM: The Chipettes - "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)"

Alvin & The Chipmunks - The Squeakquel CD Review (Rhino)My five year old thought I was the coolest Dad in the world after I was sent a review copy of the soundtrack to Alvin and the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel. Strangely enough, he never got this excited over any of the Southern Lord or Metal Blade CDs that I've recently reviewed.

This fifteen track - 50 minute - disc has The Chipmunks and Chipettes covering an eclectic mix of current pop hits, 70's disco songs, recent R&B hits and there are even a couple of classic rock tunes thrown in for good measure. Most of the songs are reinterpreted as pulsing, high energy dance mixes that feature the voices of The Chipmunks / The Chipettes but musicians Honor Society, Queensberry and Charice Pempengco add guest vocals on three of the tracks.

Here is the track list:

"You Really Got Me" feat. Honor Society (Kinks Cover)
"Hot N Cold" -(Katy Perry Cover)
"So What" - (Pink Cover)
"You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" - (Dead or Alive Cover)
"Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" - (Beyonce Cover)
"Bring It On" - (Ali Dee Cover)
"Stayin' Alive" - (Bee Gees Cover)
"The Song" feat. Queensberry - (Unknown)
"It's Okay" - (Unknown)
"Shake Your Groove Thing" - (Peaches & Herb Cover)
"Put Your Records On" - (Corrine Baily Rae Cover)
"I Want to Know What Love Is" - (Foreigner Cover)
"We Are Family" - (Sister Sledge Cover)
"No One" feat. Charice Pempengco - (Alicia Keys Cover)
"I Gotta Feeling" - (The Black Eyed Peas Cover)

Even though my son is five, he is already starting to embrace the whole iPod/mix tape culture and he skips around on this CD so that he can listen to his favorite songs over and over. His favorite songs to sing along with are "You Really Got Me", Stayin' Alive", "Shake Your Groove Thing" and "I Gotta Feeling".

All-in-all, Alvin & The Chipmunks - The Squeakquel is a cute disc. It also meets my key criteria for kids music as it doesn't annoy me after the 100th play. While this disc isn't anything that I would play while by myself, if it keeps the kids interested in music and playing an instrument, more power to The Chipmunks.



Links:
Alvin & the Chipmunks - The Squeakquel