Dirty Rig - "Rock Did It" CD/DVD Review ~ BrooklynRocks: NYC Music Blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Dirty Rig - "Rock Did It" CD/DVD Review

I lost track of Korey Clarke and Warrior Soul after the 1993 release Chill Pill so it is a bit of a surprise to hear Korey has traded his political and apocalyptic vision for booze and broads. As I get a bit older too, I have come to the realization that Korey has probably made the right choice. I did a bit of research on Korey since listening to this CD and now realize that this CD is probably not that far of a jumping off point from the final Warrior Soul CD and Korey's later band, both named "Space Age Playboys".

Perhaps I am the only one who didn't realize the revolution was over.

I had this CD on in the car after after a long day at work and really enjoyed its simplicity. Dirty Rig doesn't strive for deep and meaningful music (like the early Warrior Soul CDs) -- this is just straight-ahead rock n' roll. I don't think the people I work with would appreciate songs like Drunk Again with lyrics like "Read the warning on my forehead dude - It says instant asshole just add booze" but it is great driving music when you are trying to get back through the Holland Tunnel during rush hour.

After listening to this CD a few times, I can hear the comparisons to Nashville Pussy, C.O.C and Black Label Society. I saw Dirty Rig a number of times with their original singer but the addition of Korey Clarke takes their game up a notch. Korey's voice has gotten a a bit rougher since the Warrior Soul days but his rasp is perfect in fronting Dirty Rig. All-in-all, I really enjoyed and recommend this CD.

A bonus with this pressing of the CD was the addition of a seven song live DVD. I was at the Dirty Rig show last September at The Continental and number of songs on this DVD were filmed at this show. While the CD is good, the band's live show is better and this DVD captures the band at a small club in the East Village in front of an enthusiastic audience. I would recommend trying to find this double-disc pressing!

If anyone is interested, there is an interesting interview with Korey on Blabbermouth about his joining Dirty Rig.